We made it to Almaty! Short video explaining a few things.
So after watching that (or not… please do, it has mountains in it), here’s a quick written summary.
– The last four months has been a desert, there’s been no wifi anywhere so we haven’t been able to keep up to date with this until now sorry…
– We walked to Shymkent, met up with friends of friends where we were kindly taken to a health centre, out for a meal and then given a place to stay for the night as well as somewhere to leave our carts for a while! We then got a bus to Almaty where we will be staying for a few weeks as we acquire our Chinese visas, meet up with some family and friends and then return to Shymkent to continue our walk.
– Family and friends will be bringing out replacement clothes and boots, and then taking back a lot of things to lighten our rucksacks, important as the weight has been causing us back pain. One of the major things going back will be our electronics, which without wifi have been mostly useless in Kazakhstan, and are simply a target for thieves (as well as a contentious issue with Chinese border control). We will still be able to photograph and film, but we will not be able to effectively upload any media until the electronics are returned in India.
– IMPORTANT BLOG INFORMATION. We are going to write blog posts which cover week by week, which we will then schedule to post every friday morning, staggering the updates so that rather than have one massive load to read now, and then nothing again until India, there will be something new to read every week, which will hopefully last until India. It won’t be up to date (you’ll be reading about our summer over the winter), but we feel it will be easier to digest.
– And last of all, a massive thank you to everyone who follows us, has donated, subscribed and spread the word; we really do appreciate it.